Monday, September 04, 2006

Why are concert tickets so expensive now?

Can someone please explain to me why concert tickets are so damned expensive? I was going to go see the goo goo dolls then I saw the ticket prices !!! 118$ are they FREEKING NUTS.

Just about a month ago maybe longer...my girlfriend went to montreal to see madonna. She paid 250$ for tickets. I personally think thats excessive. Yeah you can justify it to yourself any number of ways its a one time thing, shes not going to be touring for a while in canada. yadda yadda yadda. I'm pretty sure this is the mindset of the promoters to and its the marketing tool that is used.

I absolutely refuse to pay those kinds of prices to see bands.
Last concert I saw was david usher his tickets were 25$ and it was a great show!!!
I think that the first time I noticed the ridiculous concert prices was about 10 years ago when sting came to ottawa his tickets were like 80 bux, then depeche mode came shortly after that. same price range. Whats the deal with that anyways? I read someplace maybe it was in a magazine. Its being called the celebrity factor, or some such non-sense. Yeah ok havent these bands always been celebrities? I personally think its the friggin internet and the download sites. My reasoning goes something like this? They figure you arent going to buy their cd's so they jack up the concert tickets to compensate. Am I off the mark here?
Take james blunt for instance. He came more or less out of no-where... and his tickets are over 200$ INSANE!!! I admit im as guilty as most others for downloading music from limewire. And maybe I am part of the problem. However if I like a band i'll buy the cd.
What are your thoughts on this?

No comments: